1) Give up complaining. Give up your constant need to complaining about those many, many, many things – people, situations, events that make you unhappy, sad and depressed. Nobody can make you unhappy, no situation can make you sad or miserable unless you allow it to. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.
2) Give up your need to always be right. There are so many of us who can’t stand the idea of being wrong – wanting to always be right – even at the risk of ending great relationships or causing a great deal of stress and pain. It’s just not worth it. Whenever you feel the urgent need to jump into a fight over who is right and who is wrong, ask yourself this question: Would I rather be right, or would I rather be happy. What difference will this make?
3) Give up your need for control. Be willing to give up your need to always control everything that happens to you and around you….situations, events, people, etc. Whether they are loved ones, co-workers or just strangers you meet on the street…allow them to be. Allow everything and everyone to be just as they are and you will see how much better that will make you feel.
4) Give up on blame. Give up on your need to blame others for what you have or don’t have, for what you feel or don’t feel. Stop giving your powers away and start taking responsibility for your life.
5) Give up your self-defeating self-talk. How many people are hurting themselves because of their negative, polluted and repetitive self-defeating mindset? Don’t believe everything that your mind is telling you – especially if it’s negative and self-defeating. You are better than that!
6) Give up your limiting beliefs about what you can or cannot do. From now on, you are no longer going to allow your limiting beliefs to keep you stuck in the wrong place. Spread your wings and FLY!
7) Give up the luxury of criticism. Give up your need to criticize things, events or people that are different than you. We are all different, yet we are all the same. We all want to be happy, we all want to love and be loved and we all want to be understood. We all want something and something is wished by all of us.
8) Give up your need to impress others. Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not, just to make others like you. It doesn’t work. The moment you stop trying so hard to be something you’re not, the moment you take off all of your masks, the moment you accept and embrace the real you, you will find people will be drawn to you naturally.
9) Give up your resistance to change. Change is good. Change will help you move from A to B. Change will help you make improvements in your life and also the lives of those around you. Follow your bliss, embrace change….don’t resist it.
10) Give up labels. Stop labeling those things, people or events that you don’t understand as being weird or different and try opening your mind, little by little. Minds only work when open. “The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about” Wayne Dyer
11) Give up on your fears. Fear is just an illusion…it doesn’t exist – you created it. It’s all in your mind. Correct the inside and the outside will fall in to place.
12) Give up your excuses. Send them packing and tell them they’re fired. You no longer need them. A lot of times we limit ourselves because of the many excuses we use. Instead of growing and working on improving ourselves and our lives, we get stuck, lying to ourselves, using all kind of excuses….excuses that 99.9% of the time are not even real.
13) Give up the past. I know, I know, it’s hard! Especially when the past looks so much better than the present and the future looks so frightening…but you have to take into consideration the fact that the present moment is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for…the past you are now dreaming about ..was ignored by you when it was present. Stop deluding yourself. If your past wasn’t a pleasant part of your life…LET IT GO! It’s only a bad memory. Be present in everything you do and enjoy in life. After all, life is a journey, not a destination.
14) Give up attachment. This is a concept that, for most of us is hard to grasp, but it is not impossible. You get better and better at it with time and practice. The moment you detach yourself from all things, you become more peaceful, more kind and more serene. Attachment comes from a place of fear, while love is pure, kind and selfless.
15) Give up living your life to other people’s expectations. Way to many people are living a life that is not theirs to live. They live their lives according to what others think is best for them. They live lives according to what their parents think is best for them, or their friends, or enemies or teachers think is best for them. They ignore their inner voice…their inner calling. They are so busy pleasing everybody they lose control over their own lives. They forget what makes them happy. You have one life..this one right now. You must live it. You must own it, and don’t let other people’s opinions distract you from your path.
This list was copied and given to me several years ago, and I still carry it with me EVERY SINGLE DAY. I refer to it often. I’m afraid I don’t know who the original author was, as I’d gladly offer him/her credit.